Let The Healing Begin
The past week has been a roller-coaster ride with ups and downs. I underwent a spinal surgery. felt extremely uncomfortable right after the surgery. Then miraculously felt 100% better the next day. As you know, hospital food is not always vegan-friendly. And to my surprise, the food items on the menu are also relatively unhealthy too. I knew that I would not be able to bake or cook as much as before after the surgery. So, I made this huge batch of Almond Butter Granola the weekend before my surgery was to take place. This way, not only will I be fully stocked once I was discharged from the hospital. But I can also bring some with me to fuel me up pre- or post-operation. I’m actually very glad that I did bake this as they are so delicious and handy that I had them for breakfast during my hospital stay.
Granola = Best Friend of Smoothie Bowls
You know how much I love making (and eating) my fancy bowls for breakfast. But it’s always good to have something in handy that you can just throw it in and have breakfast ready within 5 minutes. This Almond Butter Granola is just so delicious and perfect for breakfast. More importantly, this recipe is not only quick and simple, but it can be easily customized to your own preference. Perfect for breakfast or dessert, it will surely brighten up your morning (if not day)!
Looking for more granola recipes?
Similar to most of my recipes, this almond butter granola is highly customisable. You can easily replace or switch out most ingredients without any difficulties. For example, you can substitute tahini with any kinds of nut or seed butter, or you can even use nutella (vegan of course!) if you are feeling fancy. Almonds can be replaced by any nuts & seeds you prefer. And rolled oats with buckwheat or steel cut oats. For the dried fruits, I used apricots, but if you don’t have them in hand, feel free to use raisins, chopped dates, dried figs or goji berries. Vegan chocolate chips will be a good addition too if you are craving something sweeter.
Almond Butter Granola (Vegan & Gluten-Free)Course: Breakfast, GranolaCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
This recipe is simple, highly-customizable and quick. Perfect for breakfast or dessert, it will surely brighten up your morning (if not day)!
- Dry Ingredients
1 cup almonds (chopped)
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- Wet Ingredients
1/2 cup almond butter* (homemade or store bought)
1/3 cup maple syrup
3 Tbsp vegan butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon clove
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup apricots
- Heat oven to 325°F (or 160°C). Line a large baking tray before mixing your granola.
- In a large bowl, mix rolled oats and chopped almonds.
- In another bowl, whisk the wet ingredients together until everything in well mixed.
- Pour the almond butter mixture over the oats mixture, and stir until evenly combined.
- Spread the granola out evenly on the lined baking tray. Bake for 10 minutes. Stir it. Then bake for another 5-10 minutes or until it turn golden brown. Every oven is different so remember to keep an eye on it so it doesn’t burn.
- Remove baking tray from the oven. Let the granola cool until it reaches room temperature.
- Now, break the granola up into your desired size of clumps and add in the additional add-ins. Store in an airtight container for up to a month.
- * Feel free to use any nut or seed butter of your preference
- ** Can be substituted with any kinds of dried fruits such as raisins, chopped dates, dried figs or goji berries