Warm Soup = Winter Comfort
It finally feels like Winter from where I live. As Winter is my favorite festival and December is my favorite month of the year, I’m going to share a series of cozy Winter recipes with you all in the coming few weeks. The first recipe is my all-time-favorite one – Vegan cream of mushroom soup.
This cream of mushroom soup has brought up so many warm childhood memories. I remembered when I was a kid, my favorite cozy Winter dinner used to be a bowl of cream of mushroom soup with a bowl of white rice. So, you could probably imagine how heartbroken I was when I realized I could no longer enjoy those canned mushroom soup.
Veganizing The Cream Of Mushroom Soup
As my vegan cooking skills progress, it has become one of the top dishes I wish to veganize. Making a vegan version of the cream of mushroom soup is in fact not as complicated as you might think. Traditional cream of mushroom soup is made with heavy cream and butter. So, in order to veganize it, all I have to do is to replace heavy cream with cashew cream and dairy butter with vegan butter.
Perfect & Cozy Winter Dinner
This mushroom soup is so easy to make that I usually prepare a huge pot of it using my Cast Iron Round Casserole and freeze them. This way, whenever I feel like having soup for dinner, all I need to do is to warm it up and serve it with some sourdough toasts, crackers, pasta or rice.
If you are interested in sourdough baking, you will find the following posts useful. ☺️
- Beginner’s Guide To Sourdough Baking
- New & Improved – Vegan Sourdough Shokupan
- New & Improved – Vegan Sourdough Cinnamon Rolls
- Pumpkin Chocolate Sourdough Shokupan
Vegan Cream of Mushroom SoupCourse: Mains, SoupCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
2 Tbsp vegan butter
1 onion (diced)
3 cloves garlic (minced)
400g white button mushrooms
2 portobello mushrooms
5 dried morel mushrooms (optional but highly recommended)
1/2 cup vegan white wine
3 cups vegetable broth
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp dried rosemary
1 tsp old bay seasoning
1/2 tsp sea salt
Black pepper to taste
1 Tbsp cornstarch
3 Tbsp water
- Cashew Cream
1/2 cup cashews (soaked overnight)
1/2 cup soy milk (unsweetened)
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- Soak the morel mushrooms in water for about 30 minutes. Reserve the soaking water and pour the mushroom water through a fine sieve.
- In a Cast Iron Round Casserole, saute onions and garlic in 2 Tbsp vegan butter until soft and fragrant.
- While the onion and garlic are sauteing, rinse and slice mushrooms.
- After the mushrooms have cooked down a bit, add 1/2 cup of white wine.
- Continue cooking until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Add vegetable broth, dried herbs and old bay seasoning to the pot, bring it to a boil, then turn the heat to medium.
- In a high-speed blender, add all the ingredients of the cashew cream and blend until smooth
- Next, add 1 cup of the soup to cashew cream and blend until smooth
- Pour the cashew mixture into pot and season with sea salt and black pepper to taste.
- In a small bowl, mix 1 Tbsp of cornstarch with 3 Tbsp of soup until the cornstarch is thoroughly mixed. Then, pour the cornstarch mixture to the pot.
- Continue cooking until the soup has reached your desired consistency.