Perfect Winter Breakfast
As much as I love having nice cream bowls, when it comes to Winter, nothing beats a bowl of piping hot creamy steel cut oat for breakfast. I am never a fan of rolled oats as I didn’t really like the texture of it. However, I LOVE steel cut oats. Rolled oats are flattened oat groats, while steel cut oats are oat groats sliced into smaller pieces. Steel cut oats are the least processed and therefore maintain the chewiness after cooked, which is the texture I personally prefer! What’s more, steel cut oats are higher in fibre, rich in iron, low GI and naturally gluten-free. All these made steel cut oats the perfect winter breakfast!
Fuss-Free Way To Cook The Perfect Steel Cut Oats
Although steel cut oats have so many benefits over rolled oats, it also takes much longer time to cook. This is also why most people prefer rolled oats over steel cut oats when cooking at home. However, if you hate the texture of rolled oats, I highly recommend you to try steel cut oats.
Luckily, I discovered a fuss-free way to cook the perfect steel cut oats without the need to stand in front of the stove top and watch it while it cooks. All you need is to prepare all the ingredients in a pot the night before. Set your slow cooker to slow setting. And let it do its job. Then, in the morning, you will have a bowl of piping hot and creamy steel cut oats waiting for you! This recipe is perfect for people who don’t have time to cook in the morning.
Customise To Your Liking!
One thing I love about cooking oatmeals is that you can customise the flavor to your liking and turn it to something you love. So, there is no any excuse for not liking oatmeal. For example, in this recipe, I showed you how to make oatmeals to taste like chocolate zucchini bread. If you like pumpkin pie, check out my Pumpkin Pie Steel Cut Oats Recipe.
How to Cook Steel Cut Oats (Perfect Every Time, Fuss-Free)Course: BreakfastCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
1 Tbsp vegan butter
1/3 cup steel cut oats
2/3 cup unsweetened plant milk (I used soy milk)
1/3 cup water
1/2 zucchini (shredded)
1 small apple
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp maca powder
1 Tbsp cacao powder
1 Tbsp maple syrup
- Optional add-ins
- The night before, shred the zucchini and squeeze as much water out as possible.
- Add all the shredded zucchini, steel cut oats, cinnamon, water and plant milk into a small pot that can be fit inside the crock pot and mix well. Fill the crockpot with 3 cups of water, then place the small pot into the crock pot. Hence, the small pot is immersing in water inside the crock pot.
- Use the “low” setting. Leave it overnight and let it do the magic. 🧙🏻♀️
- Next morning, mix in maca powder, cacao powder, maple syrup, mini marshmallow and chocolate chips and stir until everything is incorporated.
- Serve with your choice of toppings and enjoy! 🍫☕️