Why I Created This Recipe?
Recently, I have been craving for something sweet for breakfast. I was debating between banana bread or carrot cake. As I always have difficulties in making decisions, I decided to combine them into one bread. While I was preparing the ingredients for this recipe, I realized I only got one banana. Luckily, I remembered I had a jar of applesauce sitting in my fridge from a while ago. So I threw in some flour, banana, carrots, applesauce, spices and everything my heart desires. And voila, here comes the most breakfast/ dessert bread I’ve ever made – Chai Carrot Apple Streusel Bread! ✌🏻
As this is a breakfast bread, I purposely make it without using any sugar. To make up for the sweetness of the bread, I blended up some dried figs together with the liquid ingredients with a high speed blender. If you are worried about this bread not being sweet enough, you can use more dried figs, substitute it with dates or even add a few tablespoons of liquid sweetener of your choice. 🥰
Chai Carrot Apple Streusel Bread = Apple Streusel Bread + Carrot Cake + Banana Bread
This chai carrot apple streusel bread is a hybrid of 3 of my favorite desserts – apple streusel bread, carrot cake and banana bread. So when it comes to add-ons, walnuts is undeniably the best choice. Sadly, I didn’t use any this time since I ran out of walnuts and didn’t want to make a special grocery run just to buy walnuts, I improvised and used cacao nibs instead for the crunch factor. And let me tell you, adding cacao nibs to the bread brings it to a next level yumminess!😎 The bitterless compliments the sweetness of the bread and brings all the flavors together, while providing some crunch. I recommend using both cacao nibs and walnuts for best result! 😊 As for the streusel topping, I used the apple blueberry granola from Bob’s Red Mill. But you can use any granola you want!
For a simple breakfast or quick morning snack, I love to enjoy it with some homemade vegan cultured cream cheese or tofu mousse. However, here is my absolute favorite way to eat this chai carrot apple streusel bread. Dip a slice of bread in french toast batter. Pan fry both sides with some vegan butter. And serve it with vegan yogurt, jam, fruits and granola!😚 I discovered this 3 days ago and I have been making this at least once a day since then. It’s so good that you won’t believe it’s super healthy, vegan and gluten-free! 🤩
Chai Carrot Apple Streusel Bread (Vegan & Gluten-free)Course: Baked Goods, Breakfast, Cakes, Desserts, Desserts / Snacks / Cakes, Healthy Snacks
- Dry Ingredients
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp turmeric
Pinch of nutmeg
1 Tbsp maca powder
1/2 tsp salt
- Wet Ingredients
1 ripe banana (mashed)
2/3 cup applesauce
2/3 cup chai infused plant milk (recipe below)
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup dried figs (or substitute with medjool dates)
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup cacao nibs
1/2 cup walnuts (chopped)
1/2 cup finely shredded carrots
1/2 cup apple blueberry granola
- Chai Infused Plant Milk
2 tsp loose leaf chai blend
1 cup plant milk
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, bring your choice of plant milk to a high simmer. Switch off the heat, stir in loose leaf chai. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes or even longer for more intense chai flavor. Strain the tea and leave it aside to cool down.
- Preheat oven to 175°C.
- In a large mixing bowl, add all the dry ingredients, mix well.
- In a high-speed blender, place all wet ingredients and blend until you get a smooth mixture.
- Pour wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Stir until it forms a batter.
- Now fold in the add-on ingredients until everything is evenly distributed.
- Pour the batter into a lined baking tray and smooth the top. Sprinkle the granola on top. Gently press the granola down so they won’t fall off after baking. Cover the top with aluminium foil.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes covered. Remove the foil and bake for another 30 minutes or until it turns golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.