Hi all! I know I haven’t been uploading recipes as frequent as before, but I haven’t stopped developing recipes. I just need to take a break from social media as it kind of stresses me out a bit. That break is much needed and I feel not only inspired and refreshed, but I am also ready to get back to the social media game. I recently posted my recent obsession – vegan french toast with my VEGAN MILK BREAD on my facebook and instagram, and some of you asked me for the recipe. So I guess it’s time for a new blog post right? 😏
Eggy Vegan French Toast
I have tried making french toast batter using chickpea flours, vegan egg mix etc. But there is always something lacking in there. They don’t really resemble their eggy “real” French toast counterparts. Don’t get me wrong, they still taste good. But it’s just different. I have been accepting the fact that Vegan French Toast can never taste like the real deal, until I created this recipe.
Although tofu is the main ingredient of this French toast batter, you won’t be able to taste the tofu. 😊 The key to making this best recipe is to use enough a sufficient amount of sweetener, vanilla, cinnamon and fry them with vegan butter. Here I use Miyoko’s cultured vegan butter and it’s the BEST!
For this recipe, I like to serve them with more vegan butter, maple butter and some berries 🙌 Also, this batter recipe makes more than enough for 4 slices of bread. So if you are only making it for yourself, you can simply keep the batter in the fridge for up to a week. By doing so, you will be able to have French toast anytime of the week as you wish. 😋🍞
THE BEST VEGAN FRENCH TOAST RECIPE (Vegan, GF Option)Course: DessertCuisine: FrenchDifficulty: Medium
- French Toast Batter
85g firm tofu
1/2 cup plant-based milk
1 Tbsp sugar (I used coconut sugar)
1 tsp vanilla extract (or more if you like it more vanilla-y)
Pinch of allspice (optional but highly recommended)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 Tbsp vegan butter (I used Miyoko’s cultured vegan butter and it’s THE BEST thing ever happened to me lol)
- Blend the French Toast batter ingredients in a high speed blender until smooth.
- Pour the batter into a flat shallow dish
- Preheat a non-stick pan to medium heat. Then, turn the heat to medium low.
- Add 1 Tbsp vegan butter to the pan.
- Gently dip 1 slices of bread to the batter for 5 seconds on each side. Allow any excess batter to drip off, then fry on medium low heat for around 3 mins per side (or until it turns golden brown).
- Repeat with the remaining bread slices and serve with more vegan butter and maple butter! Try it! It’s my favorite topping combo for French toasts ❤️
- If you have some leftover batter left, you can keep it in the fridge for up to 1 week.