Here Comes My Favorite Festival
‘Tis the season which means gingerbread spice for everything! I have been obsessed with adding gingerbread spice to my everyday breakfast and this combo of matcha and gingerbread in oatmeal is just so bomb! Perfect as breakfast on colder days, especially during the merriest festival of the year. 😘🎄 After all, what’s better than enjoying a warm bowl of Gingerbread Matcha Oatmeal on your cozy bed? 🛏
I get so excited for Christmas every year starting from November when the weather is not even cool here in Hong Kong. But nothing’s gonna stop me from creating Christmas-themed recipes 😝
Gingerbread Spice Is My New Jam
I also included the recipe of my own gingerbread spice recipe. This spice mix is indeed very useful as you can throw it in anything you want. For example, you can add them to some warmed almond milk with maple syrup for a quick and easy gingerbread latte; Add them to your favorite cookie recipe to make gingerbread cookies; Or even in nice cream to make gingerbread flavored vegan ice-cream! Doesn’t it sound amazing?🙆♀️
You can actually cook this in a crockpot, then you will have a delicious and comforting gingerbread matcha oatmeal for breakfast without having to get up early! Read more about how to cook oatmeal in a slow-cooker in my Quinoa Porridge recipe. 😊 It’s literally LIFE-CHANGING!💃
Gingerbread Matcha Oatmeal (Vegan, Gluten-free, Refined Sugar-free)Course: BreakfastCuisine: WesternDifficulty: Medium
1/2 cup steel cup oats (soaked in water overnight)
3/4 cup plant milk
1 ripe pear or apple (diced)
1/2 zucchini (shredded)
1 tsp matcha powder
1 1/2 tsp gingerbread spice (recipe below)
1 Tbsp raisins
1 tsp maca powder
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- Gingerbread Spice
3 Tbsp ground ginger
2 Tbsp ground cinnamon
1 Tbsp ground nutmeg
1 Tbsp ground allspice
1 Tbsp ground cloves
1 Tbsp vanilla bean powder
- The night before, soak 1/2 cup of steel cut oats in water, cover and let it sit overnight.
- In the morning, drain and rinse the sprouted steel cut oats
- Place the drained steel cut oats into a pot under medium heat and toast it slightly until they become slightly browned or until you can smell the oats .
- Add plant milk to the pot, stir and mix everything well and bring to a boil
Once the oats are boiled, turn the heat to medium low, let it simmer for around 5 minutes until thickened. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- After 5 minutes, add the shredded zucchini, diced pears, gingerbread spice and raisins into the pot, stir well until everything has combined together.
- Let it simmer for another 5-10 minutes until a desired consistency is reached.
- Turn the heat off and stir in maca powder, matcha powder and vanilla bean paste.
- Give it a final stir and serve with your choice of toppings. Enjoy! 💞
I like serving my oatmeals with a dollop of nut butter (brazil nut butter is my fav!💞), raw cacao nibs and fruits. Adding raw cacao nibs to the oatmeal adds an extra crunchiness to it. Let’s be real, who doesn’t love having chocolate for breakfast? 😏