Since I will be going to Stockholm next week for the marathon (YAY!), I have to clear the fridge as much as possible. I was in the mood of cooking some simple dinner tonight and I found two boxes of cherry tomatoes in the fridge, why not make a simple yet hearty tomato stewed lentils with some leftover tempeh and veggies? I didn’t really plan to record down all the ingredients as it was meant to be a casual and impromptu dinner dish. However, upon my first bite, I was quite surprised by how delicious it was. Therefore, after I had this satiating dinner, I immediately wrote down the ingredients according to the best of my memory. This dish is so simple and quick that it requires only 15 minutes of cooking time. And it can easily be turned into a nutritious meal filled with protein by serving with some salad greens or kale and some brown rice.
This recipe serves 2 people
1 cup cherry tomatoes
1/2 cup tempeh
1/2 cup any kind of dry lentils (I used red lentils) (You can also use those from the cans)
1 cup chopped vegetables (I used zucchini and green capsicums)
1 tsp mixed herbs
1/2 clove garlic
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp coconut sugar
Salt to taste
- Heat a non-stick pan under medium heat. Cut the cherry tomatoes into half.
- Once the pan is hot enough, throw in all cherry tomatoes into the pan is add 1/2 cup of water
- Add in 1/2 clove of minced garlic and slightly stir fry the tomatoes for 1 minute, then cover it and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, boil some water in a small pot. Add the lentil beans in the pot when the water starts boiling. Then, let it boil for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside for later use.
- Cut the tempeh into bite size and add to the tomato mixture. Add also the mixed herbs, coconut sugar, cayenne pepper and salt to it. Stir until everything is incorporated into the mixture. By this time, the mixture will look a bit thick and dry as the tempeh will soak up some of the water. If so, add 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup water (depends on the dryness of the mixture)
- Taste the stew and adjust the amount of seasoning according to your personal preference.
- Lastly, add in the chopped veggies and cooked lentils. Cover and let it simmer for another 5 minutes or until the veggies are cooked.
- Serve with a side of brown rice and salad (I used kale) and enjoy this nutritious and delicious meal 💞