Hi all! So I have been posting more recipes these days and most of them are sweet dishes. So finally here comes a savoury one! I created this vegan cheese sauce because one day I was trying to make some vegan Alfredo sauce by simmering some cauliflower in almond milk. Suddenly an idea sprung up my mind, how about I add some lemon juice, nutritional yeast and turmeric to turn it into a vegan cheese sauce? As I always love to experiment in my kitchen, I decided to give it a go. And the outcome is pretty good to be honest, hence I also made some chickpea nachos the following day to pair with this magical sauce:
3 cups cauliflower florets
1/2 cup vegetable broth
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 Tbsp oil of your own choice (I used avocado oil)
1/2 onion (diced)
3 garlic coves (minced)
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp coconut amino (or liquid amino)
Pinch of salt
1 tsp mixed herbs (I used Bragg’s 24 Herb & Spice Seasoning)
Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Add the cauliflower, 1/2 cup vegetable broth and 1 cup unsweetened almond milk into the pot and bring to a boil. Cook for around 10 minutes or until the cauliflower has turned slightl transparent and soft enough to be mashed with a fork. Remove the pot from heat and leave it on the counter to cool.
- Meanwhile, heat a pan on medium heat and add 1 Tbsp of your choice of oil. Add the diced onions and turmeric powder and slightly sautée, until the onions turned soft and translucent (around 3 minutes), gently add in the minced garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Leave the sautéed onion and garlic on the counter and let it cool for about 5 minutes.
- Pour the cauliflower, onion, garlic, and all other ingredients into a high speed blender of food processor and process until smooth. Taste the sauce and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- Enjoy it with bread, zoodles, nachos or pasta! This is a perfect dipping sauce and spread on basically everything! 😆