I was a big fan of cinnamon rolls since I was a kid. However, given that I haven’t had any of them since I turn vegan and I have been craving for them since winter has started (PUMPKIN SEASON right? 😛 ), I decided to make some healthified ones. Luckily, I came across Spunky Coconut‘s recipe the other day and tried making some with some adaptations. This recipe used coconut flour and tapioca starch to make it gluten-free and grain-free. The texture of these cinnamon rolls are fluffy yet a bit chewy. I topped mine with some macadamia butter mixed with vanilla powder and coconut sugar which make them even better and it’s definitely a vegan heaven in a pan! And for the filling, I added a Tbsp of vegan drinking chocolate because who doesn’t love chocolates? If you like cinnamon, you should absolutely give it a go!
Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
Makes 10 rolls
1 cup coconut flour
1 cup tapioca flour
2 tablespoons psyllium husk powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 cup pumpkin puree
1 cup almond milk (or water)
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons coconut nectar (or any sweetener of your choice)
1/2 cup melted coconut oil
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1 1/2 teaspoon Pumpkin pie spice
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 Tbsp drinking chocolate from Raiz The Bar (or cacao powder)
1/4 cup coconut sugar
1 heaped Tbsp Macadamia butter
1 tsp coconut nectar
1 tsp vanilla powder
About 2 Tbsp water to thin out the mixture
- Set the oven to 180 °C.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients and give it with a whisk.
- In a separate bowl combine the wet ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix well.
- Press the dough together, then lay it on parchment paper. Flour the top lightly, then roll the dough into a rectangle about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick.
- Add the filling ingredients to a food processor, process until smooth, then spread the filling onto the dough.
- Roll the dough fairly tightly, then slice into 10 rolls. Arrange the rolls in a lined baking pan.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, then allow to cool to room temperature.
- While the rolls are cooling, mix together the macadamia glaze ingredients. And more water if necessary to achieve the desired thickness. It should be slightly pourable.
- Top the rolls with macadamia glaze and enjoy!