The Health Seed Concept and I really love this salad because the color of beetroots and greens is so christmasy! Being a vegan salad, the citrus dressing is just right, not only does it bring out the sweetness of the beets without overpowering it, it also added much flavor to the salad, at the same time removing the grassy flavor of the beets, which is the major reason why people are scared of beetroots. We also added some hazelnuts to give this salad another texture, the crunchiness of hazelnuts definitely compliments it well, adding another layer to the salad. This salad is a perfect appetizer for sharing, as well as refreshing your taste bud and preparing for a heavy meal ahead. Or if you are the only vegan in the party, make a huge portion of this and it will be sufficient to fill you up without leaving you hungry.
For the salad:
1 large red beet, chopped into wedges
A few pinches of sea salt
Tuscan salad leaves
Handful hazelnuts, toasted and skins (roughly) removed
Handful fresh mint leaves
For the dressing:
1 large orange, freshly squeezed
1-2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp mustard
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C
- Place the beet wedges in an oven tray and throw over a few pinches of sea salt and bake for approximately 20-25 minutes
- While the beets are in the oven prepare the salad dressing.
- Put all dressing ingredients into a small bowl and mix together well.
- Pop into the fridge until you are ready to prepare the salad.
- Remove the beets from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Add the leaves into a salad bowl with the beets and coat with the dressing.
- Toss in hazelnuts and fresh mint leaves on top
Download the printable recipe in PDF file here