Visiting the local market has been one of my favorite activities in Hong Kong. As you can usually buy all the vibrant and in-season fruits at a much cheaper price in the markets, and at a much better quality than the supermarket branches. Most of you may already know that I love berries, any kinds of berries. Unfortunately, perhaps berries are not in season now, the prices of them are a bit too high. Luckily, I found that my second favorite fruit, persimmons, are in season now! They have become super cheap and at a higher quality. Hence, I started to create some recipes using persimmon and I would like to introduce the new member to my coconut porridge family – Persimmon & Carob coconut porridge. This flavor is so amazing that it tastes JUST LIKE A CAKE! Perfect for breakfast or as an afternoon pick-me-up dessert 😚
2 Tbsp shredded coconuts
1 soft and ripe persimmon
3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/4 cup water
1 small apple
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp Organic Burst maca powder
1 Tbsp carob powder (roasted or raw)
1/2 tsp Loving Earth vanilla powder
1 heaped tsp sea buckthorn powder (optional)
1 heaped tsp Baola baobab powder (optional)
- Shred the zucchini and cut the apple into chunks
- Add almond milk, coconut flour and shredded coconut in a pot at medium heat. Stir well and bring to a boil.
- Add 1/4 of water to the mixture if it is too dry. Mix well and bring to another boil. (water will be released from the zucchini once you added them to the pot, so don’t worry too much when you see the mixture being a bit on dry side)
- Turn to low heat, add the apple chunks, chopped persimmon and shredded zucchini to the pot.
- Mix the ingredients well in the pot and allow it to simmer in the pot for around 3 minutes. Keep stirring from time to time to prevent the bottom from burning.
- Turn the heat off, add cinnamon powder, vanilla powder, carob powder, baobab and sea buckthorn powder to the pot and mix everything well.
- Serve with your favorite toppings 😉