Who doesn’t like French toast? Especially when it’s VEGAN and refined sugar-free! Thanks to a local grocery store in Hong Kong stocking an amazing egg replacer Neat Egg. Neat Egg is an all natural replacement for eggs used in baking that consist of just two ingredients – chia seeds and garbanzo bean powder. Simply add 2 Tbsp of water to 1 Tbsp of Neat Egg mix and you will easily get 1 vegan for substitution. After buying this pack of wholesome egg replacer, I just can’t wait to create some new recipe! As I was craving for some sweets the other day, why not making a French toast using this vegan egg mix? I also used Coconut Matter‘s WILD virgin coconut oil to fry the French toast, which gives not only a really good scent, but believe it or not, it also resembles the effect of using butter in frying 😸
2 slices of sourdough bread (use gluten-free bread if you are gluten intolerance)
1 Tbsp Neat Egg mix
2 Tbsp water
1 tsp coconut sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp WILD virgin coconut oil
Cacao almond butter sauce:
1 heaped tsp raw almond butter
1 tsp raw cacao powder
1/2 tsp coconut nectar
- Mix 2 Tbsp of water with 1 Tbsp of Neat Egg. Let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Add other ingredients (except the bread) to the vegan egg mixture. Stir well until everything is mixed together.
- Soak the two slices of bread into the mixture for 30 seconds on each side.
- Set the heat to medium and pre-heat the pan.
- When the pan is hot enough, add 1 tsp of coconut oil to the pan.
- Gently place the bread on the pan and fry until the bread becomes golden brown (around 2 minutes). Carefully flip and cook until the other side is golden brown as well (another 2 minutes).
- When the bread is frying, mix 1 tsp of raw cacao powder with 1 tsp of raw almond butter and coconut nectar.
- When the French toast is ready, pour the cacao almond butter sauce on top of the toast and topped with desired toppings. Here I used raw cacao nibs and pomegranate seeds.