I usually have a long run (min 20km) on Saturdays. So before the run, I will make sure that I’m fully fuelled with energy for the best performance. This is an example of my pre-workout vegan plate that is quick and simple. You can prepare most of the parts in advance and keep them in the fridge, so that when you are on a rush, you can just grab them out and make the whole thing within 10 minutes.
2 slices Baked marinated tempeh (recipe here)
1/2 Zucchini (spiralized)
1 small or 1/2 large beetroot (spiralized)
2 Tbsp Carrot dressing (recipe here)
2 Tbsp Creamy hemp seed dressing (recipe here)
2 pieces of Gluten-free bread (or any other bread of your own choice)
2 Tbsp Baba ganoush (recipe below)
Handful of alfafa sprouts
Baba ganoush (adapted from Minimalist Baker)
1 medium eggplant (I received mine from Oisix)
2 Tbsp tahini
2 Tbsp orange juice
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 garlic clove
Pinch of sea salt
Handful of basil
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cumiin
For the Baba ganoush
- Preheat oven to high broil and position a rack at the top of the oven.
- Slice your eggplant into 1/4 inch rounds and sprinkle with sea salt and place in a colander in the sink to drain any excess liquid. After 10 minutes, rinse slightly and then pat dry between two towels.
- Arrange on a baking sheet and drizzle with a pinch of sea salt. Roast for 5-10 minutes, turning once or twice, until the eggplant is softened and golden brown. Remove from pan, stack and wrap the rounds in foil to lock in moisture – wait 5 minutes.
- Peel away most of the skin of the eggplant and add them to a food processor.
- Add orange juice, apple cider vinegar, garlic, tahini, a pinch of salt, cumin and paprika and mix until creamy. Add herbs last and pulse to incorporate. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
For the Vegan Power Lunch Plate
- Toast the bread in a toaster for 1 minute.
- Peel and dice the avocado. Set aside for later use.
- Generously spread 1 Tbsp baba ganoush on each piece of bread. Top with diced avocado and alfafa sprouts. Sprinkle with some paprika powder if preferred.
- Add 2 Tbsp of carrot dressing to zoodles and 2 Tbsp of hemp seed dressing to the beetroot noodles.
- Assemble the ingredients on the plate as shown and enjoy! 😊